home

Monday 25 January 2016

New Beginnings

I had a lot of fun with this challenge from Mixed Media Place "New Beginning"  I explored some new textures and used a medium that i have had for a couple of years but never opened.

Here is my take, this is my favorite tag from my weekend crafting.  (funny story i told a fellow i work with that i spent the weekend crafting and he asked if that was a sport or something lol)

I am in love with this tag and Lminarte / ColourArte  primary elements that i used to color the entire tag.  I also used modelling paste, mica fragments, elements earth textures, acrylic paint, chipboard, and encyclopedia paper.




















I started with a manilla tag that i added some encyclopedia paper in corner with gel medium, added harlequin pattern with modelling paste and a stencil.  I LOVE harlequin pattern.  For more texture i used mica fragments and earth textures glued on with gel medium.















Next i added a cluster of chipboard, i used mechanicals, slide cartridge, a ragged edge from my etsy store.  I cut up the slide and the ragged edge frame.  I always cut things up there is no reason to use exactly how they came out of the packaging.  Once everything was glued on and dried i paint the entire tag with gesso except the encyclopedia print.















Next i painted the whole tag with primary elements burnt amber.  I have had these for awhile but never even opened.  I know i am not the only one out there who has unopened product.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE how this turned out.  I mixed the pigment with water, it was very watery, next i applied with a brush but i didn't brush on instead puddled on to the tag.  I think that was how i got all the color variations, some parts matte and some parts shimmer.  I love this so much i ordered more and even paid the exchange rate and shipping which can add up to alot when you live in northern Alberta Canada.

The black shadowing on the harlequin pattern and around chipboard and texture is from acrylic paint dry brushed on to just hit the high points.  Here i debated calling it done but no more more more.






I highlighted the chipboard gears by painting with my Dina Wakley heavy body acrylic paints.  These paints are great they are in super bright bold colors, just what i wanted to contrast against the brown/ black background.  Again i debated stopping and i said no.















Finishing touches were texture stamping along outside edges with white acrylic paint.  Adding the title and a little metal onto accent card then criss crossing with elastic.  I am not sure on the elastic but the holes are punched so something needs to so in there.  This one is a keeper.

Next are a few of my favorite spots on the tag.

















The earth texture up close and personal, I especially love the edge along the print, the color pooled around it and made it darker and bold.
















Here you can see the brightness of the gears, and on the background the color variations from the primary elements pigment.
















Here you can see the mica fragments with the highlights and low light created from the texture.

Going to explore more with TEXTURE.









4 comments:

  1. Glenda, I love your tag, in fact, I've had a peek around your blog and love what I see. I am signing up to be your newest follower!. I am a big fan of texture and you have given it it's finest hour here! LOVE! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your background work is stunning with all its detail and textures! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tag! Thanks for the step-photos, always interesting to see the progress!
    Thanks for joining our challenge at Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I especially like those elastic ribbons, so cool! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete